Before you go home – 5 tips!
December 15, 2011 § Leave a comment
The semester is over, finals are wrapping up, and you just finished that paper at 5 am. It’s time to go home for Winter Break!
But wait! Before you go home, take a few extra minutes and follow these steps to make sure your room is sustainable while you’re not there:
1. Unplug everything. Unplug your lamps, space heaters, fans microwaves, refrigerators (take everything out first, of course), and all of your alarm clocks, radios, TV’s, computers, charging devices, etc. Even though you might not be using them, they’ll still be using up energy while you’re not there. Not running these devices will also keep them in better shape, and will let them last longer, so you don’t have to replace them as frequently.
2. Open your blinds or curtains. Let some natural sunlight keep your room warm. For those of you living in apartments or houses, this will let you leave the heat lower yet still keep everything inside at a safe, comfortable temperature which won’t damage anything. Leaving your heat on lower will also save you money on your utility bills.
3. Seal your room.Make sure your windows are totally shut. Any little cracks or space in or between the walls or windows could let the heat and or air conditioning out, and causing more energy to be used to keep your unoccupied room at whatever temperature it is set to. The same situation occurs as before – it will save you money too!
4. Shut the water.If you live in an apartment, or your dorm room has running water or other utilities, make sure your faucets, etc. are all closed up as not waste resources because of leaks. You don’t want to be charged for extra utilities fees, or worse, cause floods,
5. Shut the lights. It’s kind of obvious, but make sure you do it. It will benefit you greatly in the long run.
Have a good break everyone! Keep watching for posts – they’ll still be put up daily.