5 Tips to Keep Your Dorm Room Green While You’re at Home
November 19, 2011 § 1 Comment
Hey College students!
Before ya’ll head home for the holidays, here are a few tips to make sure your dorm room is staying as green as possible:
1. Unplug everything. Unplug your lamps, space heaters, fans microwaves, refrigerators (take everything out first, of course), and all of your alarm clocks, radios, TV‘s, computers, charging devices, etc. Even though you might not be using them, they’ll still be using up energy for the week you’re gone.
2. Open your blinds or curtains. Let some natural sunlight keep your room warmer for when you return.
3. Make sure your windows are totally shut. Any little cracks or space in or between the walls or windows could let the heat and or air conditioning out, and causing more energy to be used to keep your unoccupied room at whatever temperature it is set to.
4. Turn of the water.If your dorm room has running water or other utilities, make sure your faucets, etc. are all closed up as not waste resources because of leaks.
5. This should seem obvious, but, SHUT OFF YOUR LIGHTS. Way too many people forget to do this, and then waste days worth of electricity lighting a room that no one will set foot in.